Harvard, Boston, MA Fall 2019-Present
Masters in Sustainability, Creating Sustainable Cities and Communities
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Masters in Education, Curriculum and Instruction (3.8 GPA) May 2014
Relevant Courses: McIntire School of Commerce – Teaching Assistant – Managing Sustainable Development; Darden – Markets in Human Hope; Environmental Science – Ethics, Protocols, & Practice of International Research; Civil Engineering – Designing a Sustainable Future (A+); Architecture – EcoMod Sustainable Architecture
Bachelor of Arts, Economics May 1997
* Social Entrepreneurship at UVA – Executive Board Member * McIntire Investment Institute – 1st International & 1st Female Sector Leader * SEED – Colofar, Bank On, Profugo, Recycle Guru – Mentor * Global Ganda – Curry Cup honorable mention * UVA Athletic Tutor – Football Team * Garden Club, Outdoor Adventure Social Club
* Teaching Assistant – 4th Grade, Venable Elementary * Selected as Range Treasurer 2013-2014 in Academical Village *Jefferson Entrepreneurship Finals – Judge * Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney – Extern
* Range Investment Fund – Founder & Chair
University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark; International Business Certificate May 1996
*Completed field studies in Russia, Estonia, Germany, Holland, Belgium, and throughout Denmark.
Duke University, Durham, NC; Non-Profit Management post-graduate coursework 2004-2007
Green Building Experience
Albemarle Housing Improvement Program (AHIP), Consultant, Charlottesville, VA
· Canvassed low income neighborhood interviewing 50+ residents on improving their homes.
· Created detailed report for AHIP analyzing results employing additional suggestions.
· Participated in doing physical interior and exterior construction on home improvements while implementing sustainable green building practices.
· Selected as sole UVA student representative out of entire ECOMod program created by US Green Building Council Board Member and LEED certified architect at UVA.
Local Energy Alliance Program (LEAP), Consultant,Charlottesville, VA
· Facilitated 10th & Page neighborhood in maximizing energy efficiency through blower door tests, smoke pencils, and other engineering methods.
· Produced extensive 100+ page report for ECOMod Engineering Program detailing current conditions utilizing thermal photography, analyzing information provided by local utilities, and providing suggestions for home improvement in order to maximize efficiency and lower costs for underserved.
Virginia Land Company, Construction Technician,Charlottesville, VA
· Conducted all necessary construction tasks to help facilitate interior construction of commercial facility.
· Tasks ranged from sanding to painting, hanging drywall to driving nails.
Cashman/Republic, Office Manager, Brunswick County, NC
· Worked closely with project manager and 4 person team to construct a $7M industrial crane for Sunnypoint, a US military base in Southeastern NC.
· Established office before project began conducting all necessary tasks to insure project would be conducted efficiently meeting very strict DOD guidelines and timeline.
· Worked with engineers and OSHA in training all subcontractors.
· Helped facilitate all personnel in personal matters such as finding residences and schools.
· Acted as office manager throughout project guaranteeing successful result.
National Association of Home Builders, Participant,Orlando, FL
· Participated in week-long seminar by solar home visionary John Wesley Miller who teamed with the U.S. Department of Energy to build two zero-energy homes at his award-winning 99-unit development in Tucson’s historic Armory Park neighborhood. Miller was one of four builders selected to work on DOE’s net zero energy homes initiative. Miller worked with the National Association of Home Builders Research Center (NAHBRC) & the National Renewable Energy Laboratory to design one of the first true zero energy homes in the country in 2003.
Forest Lakes, Weekend Junior Sales Agent,Charlottesville, VA
· Received real estate license summer between 1st and 2nd year as a full time 19-year old UVA student.
· Worked out of trailer on weekends when Forest Lakes had less than a dozen homes.
Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer Construction Technician, Indiana & Virginia
1991-1993 and 2013
· Completed any and all necessary tasks in various construction processes.
· Hung drywall for lower SES homes near Cherry Avenue neighborhood.
Hunt Club Property, General Contractor’s Assistant,Zionsville, IN
· Instructed parents as a 12-year old to purchase 7 acres on Hunt Club Road for $25,000. Property first sold 15 years later to a group of investors for $1.4M providing for a 409% ROI, or 11.46% annualized.
· Designed 10,000 square foot, 7 BR, 7 BA residence complete with basketball court, sand volleyball court, 6 car garage, pool, and barn style warehouse facility. Convinced architect to expand living area above 6 car garage to add value and equity to property.
· Worked daily with general contractor as an 8thgrader and freshman in high school assisting with all needs to be able to construct estate for under $250,000.
· Hunt Club Road is currently most exclusive area of America’s #1 rural town according to Money Mag.
Additional Professional Experience
ManagingProjects.org, Founder & Small Business Development Director, Intl.
· Provide servant leadership consulting services for small to medium size businesses to create an impact on the internet utilizing and leasing our highly sought after gTLDs, generic top level domains.
· Design, create, and build social entrepreneurial endeavors ranging from fair trade coffee to ecommerce.
· Focus on giving 10% of net revenue to local CBOs pertinent to client’s mission.
FairTradeLove.com & EcoChic.Boutique, Founder, Charlottesville, VA
· Promoting and selling Fair Trade retail items. Currently microfinance a Zimbabwe artisan consortium with revenue going towards the construction of the Grace Centre, a shelter for sex trafficked children.
· FairTradeLove.com is an online consortium of small Fair Trade businesses that are too small to be a part of the Fair Trade Federation.
· EcoChic.Boutique provides for fair trade sourcing of sustainable textiles, clothing & accessories.
· The EcoChic brand has several initiatives for 2020 including EcoChicStudio.com & EcoChic.House.
ThoughtfulTutor.com & KidsNightOut.co, Founder, Charlottesville, VA
· Tutor students in all subjects including math, English, reading comprehension, and science.
· Conduct STEM classes with ‘How Cool is That?’ as a basis of curriculum.
· Create specific STEAM curriculum in alignment with programming for clients such as the Taubman Museum of Art in Roanoke and the Paramount Theater in Charlottesville.
· Clients have included the UVA Football team to STAB, Blue Ridge School, Tandem, Covenant, the Miller School, and students from many other local public and private schools.
· Vetted on all local private school campuses.
PersonalOrganizer.Pro, Founder, Charlottesville, VA
· Provide professional organizing and personal concierge services.
· Excel in moving into and out of new residences and staging residences for sale.
Apothe.Care, Founder, Charlottesville, VA
· Apothe.Care is an organic, homemade bath and beauty line with the intention of the homeless cooperative owning 40% of the company. The local homeless members of this cooperative will own their respective businesses in a rent to own business model.
Super Kids Group © Book Series, Founder, Author, & Illustrator, Asia & Europe
· Created book series featuring books based on children with special needs, afflictions, and learning disadvantages.
· Conducted extensive research utilizing vocabulary words and questions for readers.
The Royal Family of Saudi Arabia (ages 2 and 4), Live In Governess, Washington, DC
· Managed, scheduled, and participated in all home, school, and extracurricular activities including swimming, horse riding, and ballet lessons.
· Supervised school work, developed and participated in creative games and projects based on Montessori. Helped oversee a staff of 20 in a formal environment including staff in service 20+ years.
· Familiar with highest level of security protocols and royal etiquette.
GGC Investments, Inc., SpecialSitterService.com, Founder,Wilmington, NC
· Created upscale boutique selling fair trade apparel including educational products.
· Started 7 businesses including Thoughtful Tutor, Global Ganda, Free Family Fun, & Kids’ Night Out.
· Designed classroom space in locations to maximize revenue generating entities.
· Created first extensive childcare network in Southeastern NC, SC, and VA.
· Clients included the US ARMY, a Presidential candidate, many SHNW families, several Fortune 500 corporate clients, a movie studio, and hundreds of vacationers.
Kramer, Levin, Naftalis, & Frankel, LLP, Foundation Coordinator – Homeland Foundation,
Administrative Assistant to Executive Director; New York, NY
· Coordinated $100M fund by responding to grant requests, composing and sending grant guidelines, and reviewing and organizing all correspondence.
· Analyzed 500+ non-profit organizations, ministries, and individuals giving recommendations in accordance with foundation regulations and maintained foundation database.
· Ensured efficient daily office operations: screened calls, reviewed all incoming mail, designed filing systems, maintained Executive Director’s schedule, firm calendar and confidential files, drafted memos, and coordinated 16 Executive Committee members for bimonthly meeting.
· Developed marketing materials for distribution: generated weekly newsletter for 600+ employees and wrote synopsis of articles for website.
Private Families from Hollywood to Several High Profile NYC SHNW Families (ages 1-12), Live In Nanny, Beverly Hills, CA; Sydney, Australia; New York, NY; Palm Beach, FL
1998-2000 and 2012
· Managed, scheduled, and participated in all home, school, and extracurricular activities.
· Supervised school work, developed and participated in creative games and projects based on Montessori style of education.
· Taught chess to preschool child facilitating his winning the NYC chess championship.
· Worked all major holidays traveling extensively while working as a team with all staff to execute employers’ needs.
· Environments included informal, sole charge with no staff to extensive staff in very formal estate.
Deputy Minister of Finance, Consultant, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
· Conducted extensive research (using internet and Bloomberg) for the Bank of Islam to prepare analysis for expansion into western markets. Wrote business plan for Bank of Islam.
· Taught and participated in first derivatives conference for ASEAN bankers.
· Produced report for Chairman of KLSE utilizing Econometrics relating volatility of the stock market to insider trading.
Bob Proctor’s Life Success Institute, Production Manager/EPA (Position held while full-time student at UVA), Kansas City, MO; Indianapolis, IN; Lansing, MI; Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; Colorado Springs, CO; Irving, CA; Palm Beach, FL; Las Vegas, NV; Albuquerque, NM; Santa Fe, NM
· Assisted world renowned motivational speaker on all personal and professional matters.
· Traveled the US extensively coordinating seminars for Life Success Institute accommodating up to 750 people.
· Managed monthly client billing system, hired temporary employees, sold to top 1% of real estate and insurance agents nationwide, created marketing materials, and facilitated advertising in all 11 cities.
· Arranged for NOW’s annual event to include Bob Proctor.
Teaching and Instructional Experience
The Blue Ridge School, SAT Prep Teacher, Dyke, Virginia
· Instructed on various SAT methods to both individuals and in small groups as large as 5 students.
Whales, ESL Teacher, Online
Petersburg City Schools, Teacher, Petersburg, Virginia
· Instructed 80+ 7th grade students History in a Title I, fully inclusive, lower SES school in inner city Petersburg, Virginia.
· Peabody Middle School was the lowest performing, unaccredited school in the entire Southeastern district of Virginia.
Island TEFL Program, Teacher, Kamala Beach, Thailand
· Instructed 20+ incoming teachers in English as a Second Language to effectively teach Thai elementary school students.
· Developed an ESL curriculum for recent college graduates (aspiring teachers) to follow and maintain.
Lubasi & Ebenezer Children’s Orphanages, Volunteer Teacher, Zambia
Decembers 2011 and 2013
· Taught both one-on-one and with groups of 2-10 students teaching study skills and character development to elementary and high school students. Held and fed infants as young as two weeks old. Read to toddlers and lower elementary school students selecting appropriate reading materials.
· Conducted research on building the Grace Centre, a shelter for sex trafficked victims in Livingstone.
Global Goals of Children, Inc., Founder & Teacher, Wilmington, NC
May 2003-December 2006
· Recognized by Duke University’s Business School CASE (Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship) Program as a model social entrepreneurship program.
· Created international aid and free after school and summer program to serve 150+ children in 7 elementary schools.
· Taught children in weekly goal setting, multicultural education program, and art project relevant to country of the week.
· Established working relationships with the headmasters of schools throughout 10 African countries while teaching in local African schools, assessing needs, and delivering food to local villages.
Founder - ManagingLove.org, Charlottesville, VA
Service & Outreach Chair – Junior League, Charlottesville, VA
Marketing Committee - Women United in Philanthropy, Charlottesville, VA
Finance Chair – Cape Fear Volunteer Center, Wilmington, NC
Finance Committees – American Heart Association & American Cancer Society, Wilmington, NC
Additional Volunteer Roles –
· Discovery Museum, Boys & Girls Club (acting teacher), Ronald McDonald House, Arc of the Piedmont, Junior League, Youth-Nex, Madison House, Ten Thousand Villages, Habitat for Humanity, SPCA, Live Arts, Cville, VA
· First in Families, The Carousel Center, Rape Crisis Center, Coastal Horizons, Wilmington, NC
· Covenant House, Project Renewal, The Door, The Moth, New York, NY
· Home Base Youth Services, Phoenix, AZ
· Homeless Teenagers Christmas Dinner, Los Angeles, CA
· Make-A-Wish Foundation, Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, American Red Cross, Indianapolis, IN
· Peer Facilitator, Special Friends Program, Children’s Christmas Program, Camel Lot – Exotic Animal Farmer, Zionsville, IN
· Adult Literacy Program, Taught adults how to read and trained them to receive their GEDs, Williamsburg, VA
Interests and Certifications: Infant, Child, & Adult CPR, First Aid, and AED; sailing; scuba diving; golf; tennis; snow skiing; soccer; reading classics; swimming; kayaking; camping; hiking; tap dancing; sewing; drawing; watercolor; painting; architecture; organic gardening and cooking; sculpture (2017 installation “Summer of Love” in the Taubman Museum in Roanoke, VA); traveling (64 countries & 7 continents)
Documentary Film Distributor: Award Winning “Ride the Divide” (http://www.ridethedividemovie.com)
Donated 100% of proceeds to local charity, Charlottesville Community Bikes
Documentary Film Producer:
Producer (1998): Promotional Video for HomeBase Youth Services on homeless teenagers
Producer: “Homeless to Harvard: If It Could Happen To Me, It Could Happen To You ©”
(documentary on homelessness)
(link to short - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-aDWNB08k
Producer: “Traffikid ©” (documentary on child sex trafficking)
Producer: “No Care, Hellth Care ©” (documentary on health care crisis in America)
Producer: “Spent ©” (documentary on student loan crisis)
Producer: “Freeze! ©” (documentary on gun control)
Producer (2020): The Earth Day Network – www.EarthDay.org
· Conducted over 30 interviews
· Filmed over 40 hours of raw footage
· Editing raw footage into a minimum of 20 videos
My Life's Goal is to Cultivate the Franchise:
Copyright © 2020 Gwen Cassady - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by www.ManagingProjects.org